There was a good turnout for February’s meeting – a repotting demonstration by Ken Norman.
Below, are photos from the evening’s demo.
Ken imparted his wisdom, offering hints and tips, too many to add them all here, but have cherrypicked just a few.
- Use akadama – no need to sieve it, as the first watering will wash the dust through.
- For established trees, repot Maples every 2-3 years. Other species can be left longer.
- For a medium sized tree, add a drainage layer of pumice first.
- Root pruning encourages new root tips to emerge closer to the trunk.
- If the pot has 3 feet, then 2 should be at the front. If just one is showing at the front, the pot will look unstable.
- Wire in with thick wire. Thin wire will break when twisted to tighten.
- Don’t feed for 4-6 weeks after repotting.
If you require any Bonsai advice or help, please don’t hesitate to contact us through the website or our Facebook page. Visitors are most welcome to attend a monthly meeting.